Thursday 23 March 2017

MUSIC: the Zolas and the Lumineers


This past week has been jam packed with music gigs in the Ottawa area. Sharing my experience and thoughts of small versus large venues. 


As a late birthday gift my friend Adam bought us tickets to see the Zolas perform in the Byward Market at Zaphod Beeblebroxs. Louise Burns opened the show, I hadn't listen to her music before and after her first song I knew I was feeling her vibe. This indie artist has some sweet pipes and lyrics, she killed the opening!




Then the Zolas got up on stage and again I was immediately impressed. Being a fairly new fan of the Zolas I was excited to see such a great band in an intimate venue. They made great conversation with the crowd in between playing. They played all of my favourite songs from Marlaina Kamikaze, Observatory, Strange Girl, and Swooner. I also carried out my tradition of buying a t-shirt from the band, and I even got it signed which made me super giddy!


A couple days later we were back out on the town to see the Lumineers at the Canadian Tire Centre. A giant venue, to say the least, and turns out we had bought/got seats in the Players Bench. At first we were skeptical about our seats because we were looking forward to being on the floor and jamming with the crowd, but the Players Bench turned out to be a great spot. We had a great view of the stage, and weren't over crowded by anyone. 


Susto and Kaleo opened the show, and we were mesmerized by their great voices. For such a large space, we wish were could have gone onto the floor to get a closer look.



Then the Lumineers hit the stage, they surely brought the crowd to life and played some old goodies like Ho Hey and then hits off their new album as well. Despite the large venue the Lumineers knew how to make the space feel intimate. They even performed in the middle of the venue at one point, and then Wesley Schultz even came running into the crowd and we were so close to him!






Going out and seeing some of my favourite bands perform was the much needed break I needed during all the hard work I've accomplished this term. Now it's back for the home stretch of 4th year before summer starts. I'm so happy I got to share my love for music with my friend Adam, I couldn't have asked for a better concert buddy. These nights will definitely be fond memories I look back on one day and remember the joy of being young and living in Ottawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment