Saturday 31 December 2016

2016



With every high and low in 2016 that I experienced, I definitely think that this has been the most fulfilling, eventful, and evolutionary year I have ever lived. Here is a recap and overview of my 2016; what I went through and where I'm at now.



JANUARY



I started this blog, hobby, project, whatever you want to call it. Simply a space where I could express my passions and record my journey. Little did I know I would be tracking the most eventful chapter of my life (so far). With the new year ahead I set some resolutions for myself to achieve throughout the year.


I was still living in the Hogsback area, with my very first roommates, Molly and Sho. They welcomed me into their home back in September 2015, and without a doubt it was the most magical experience. It was my first time living "on my own", but we quickly went from being strangers to friends/soul sisters in a matter of days. I couldn't have imagined my third year of university without these two. I'm forever grateful for stumbling upon Molly's "Roommate Wanted" ad on Kijiji. These girls were there for me through thick and thin in the beginning of this year (they still are of course). They also helped me in my journey of becoming the independent and strong woman I've grown to be by the end of this year.

With January being my birthday month, I started it off with a bang! I finally got to throw the house party of my dreams, and celebrate it with all my nearest and dearest. I didn't realize at the time how lucky I am to be surrounded by such an amazing, inspiring, and caring group of people. I am overcome with so much joy when I think about how many loving family members and friends I have in my life who are nothing but support of me. This support group is something I'm so thankful for, because without them I surely would be lost.

FEBRUARY



The highlight of this month was surely my first ever solo flight/adventure to BRITISH COLUMBIA, the west coast, best coast, and more specifically Vancouver to see my amigo Andrea. Despite bad winter weather and delayed flights, I made it across the country on my own for the first time.






Vancouver was everything I had hoped it would be and then some. From getting to spend quality time with Andrea, to exploring mountains, to experiencing rainy Vancity life we managed to squeeze in so much adventure in just 6 days.




Andrea, my resilient and independent friend, taught me how to explore and to not be afraid of going for the things in life that will make you happy despite all challenges. This trip was something I put off for years because I was afraid, or worried about money - but when I said 'fuck it' and just went for it... pure magic. This definitely triggered my travel bug, which has yet to be gotten rid of haha.

MARCH



With my adventurous side starting to come through, I continued this vibe by getting out to explore more with my friends. My friend Adam in particular and I think got even closer than we were before through our many travels together. This guy has been there for me since day one of university, and he's been nothing but supportive and caring to me. He's definitely a friend I will have for life, and I can't wait to see where we explore next.

APRIL

This month was definitely the hardest and most painful time in my life. With overwhelming stress and anxiety from school wearing me down, this month was also when Liam and I ended our relationship.

School was an easy fix, especially with one of my closest/newest friends by my side, Anna. We hit it off earlier in the semester, in the end of 2015, and have since gotten super close. Not sure if it was in April specifically, but I remember being incredibly overwhelmed with my courses and crying on my living room floor to Anna about not knowing what to do to get a grip on school. When Anna said "Whatever will make you happy, you should just do it and not worry about anything else"... or something like that haha and in that moment I put aside all concerns and just did what was right for myself - not what everyone else was doing or what my parents would think - just me. This meant rearranging the rest of academic career path - but in the end it's what's right for my own journey and I'm so thankful for her support and strength she gave me that night.

My relationship on the other hand was incredibly difficult - even more so because I was completely on my own. Liam and I had been together for 3 and half years, and I never would've imagined us not being together... until one day we just weren't anymore. It hit me like a bag of bricks - I couldn't breathe, I couldn't eat, I was in the worst state of mental health I think I have ever been in my whole life over the break up. It was truly my amazing support system of family and friends that helped me cope and eventually pull through this trying time of my life.

From Larissa who was there the night of, to Adam would studied by my side to make sure I wouldn't fail my exams, to Kessandra who patiently listened to me vent and cry over the phone, to everyone - literally EVERYONE in my life who took care of me when I was down. Thank you. I'm happy and I'm where I am now because of you!

While at first it was hard to understand why my relationship with Liam came to an end, now I have come to terms with what had happened. From my perspective at least, I realize that while Liam and I loved each other, we simply grew into two different people who were just not meant to end up together. Which is completely okay, and I genuinely wish him the best and I hope he is happy.

In the end of April, I said goodbye to Molly and Sho, and our lil home on Meadowlands. I moved in with my brother from another mother, Irwin, and once again was so lucky to be able to live with a great friend. He's always been like a brother to me, offering advice and coming out for a good time. This year though I think we got closer than ever before, from living and traveling together, it's been so much fun getting to know Irwin like never before.

I'm so lucky to be surrounded with so many great people in my life. I often think that even though I lost one great love of my life, I gained so many more loves in my life through new and old re kindled friendships I've made throughout the rest of the year.

MAY



From up, to down, to back up again... this was the month I changed course. Instead of moving back home for the summer, I decided to do the unthinkable and stay in Ottawa for the first time independently. Living in my own city, being responsible for myself was a pure joy. I'm so happy that I got to live it up in Ottawa this summer, it really allowed me to grow into myself again. It let me heal and become full of life once more.




From rediscovering my passion for photography, nature, adventure, drinking, yoga, and so much more - I felt like this summer I really evolved as my own being. It wasn't always smooth sailing for sure - but it really all came together with the help of my friends.

I discovered that life can be lived without a plan (or sometimes not much of one at the very least), and how so much can happen when you just go with the flow. I went from job less to having a job within 3 days. I met, yet again, another amazing, strong, inspirational woman who I'm so proud to call my friend, Sarah. And together we survived working at the shitty pub in the Glebe - but everything happens for a reason and if we both hadn't worked at the pub we wouldn't have met one another.

JUNE

In June I slowly opened myself up again, and when on my first first date in a loooong time. Even though it didn't go anywhere it was a great baby step for getting myself back "in the game" and allowed me to realize how I have my whole life ahead of me to meet new people and find a partner.




Kessandra came to visit me this month, and it was so much fun showing her around a city I have grown to love so much. I know it's no Toronto, but to me Ottawa is definitely a gem that seriously comes to life in the summer. With Kessandra, my sista from another mista, by my side she helped me recover and bloom again this summer.

JULY

Completely taken with Ottawa and all it's glory I had my life down to an art. Life was great! I never wanted summer to end. I went on dates, I hung out with friends, I explored Ottawa in depth for the first time since moving to the city.



Erin, my dearest friend, who I've probably known the longest - we're practically sisters, came to visit over the 4 months of summer. We went to museums, watched fireworks, shopped til we dropped! Whenever Erin and I hang out it's like we've spent no time apart and I'm so happy I got to share Ottawa with her this summer as well.

This month I also quit a job for the first time ever, but at the same time I started working at Local in Lansdowne. Working at Local as a server has honestly been the best serving work position I've ever experienced. I'm so grateful to be working there with such an amazing, fun, and support group of people.

AUGUST




By August I had been committed to yoga every once, sometimes even twice a week. I really felt like I had my own jive and groove in Ottawa for sure. Summer just flew by, but so many amazing memories were made and adventures were had. I'm so happy I made the spontaneous decision to move to Ottawa for the summer.


This summer I also reconnected with my cousin/brother, Chris, we both went through some heart break this summer- and being single and ready to mingle we bonded all over again. I dragged him out to yoga, and fast forwarding to October, we even spent Thanks Giving together. It's been great having Chris around more often, family is always so important and when they live so close by you have to make the most of it.

SEPTEMBER

In September, I reunited with a girl friend of mine, Vianca. She's surprisingly a mutual friend of Liam's and mine, and despite not being together anymore Vianca welcomed me into her life as a friend with open arms. Once she was back in town we went for drinks, caught up, and just overall had the most wonderful time together. I'm so grateful for Vianca adopting me into her friend group, I've met so many wonderful new people who I love ever so dearly. For example, I became friends with Danielle, through Vianca, and we swam laps together consistently for the first chunk of the school year before studying took over our lives. It's silly to be so sentimental over something like this, but now I'm part of their friendship group chat and it's been so sweet.



After months of no contact, I had to track Liam down to get the remainder of my things, and really shelf that book of my life once and for all. When we met up I was so nauseous and anxious - luckily Vianca was there to support me after seeing him because to be honest I was a wreck. He was kind and friendly, and I'm so happy that while we aren't friends anymore (or at least right now) that we could be civil and amicable towards one another. Despite seeing him again, life pretty much went back to normal and I continued my course on my own. I had spent the summer worrying about having him around again - but it was completely fine and I was able to keep doing my thing without worrying about him.

I remember calling Andrea a couple days later with the realization that I was my own, and I no longer had to stress about him or my relationship... I only had to focus on myself for the first time in a long time. I felt free and relieved and ready to take on the new school year.

OCTOBER

This month I really let loose and opened myself up in a whole new way. I had a new disposition and came to the realization that I'm young and I need to take advantage of being single. Not every relationship has to be serious to be fulfilling, so this was the starting point for getting back into the dating game once more. I wanted to just have fun, have no expectations, and just experience new things and people. It's been quite the experience so far to say the least, but it's been a fun ride that's for sure.

In the end of the month I went on my dream vacation with two of my friends, Irwin and Dan. Together we explored London, Bath, and Paris together! Words cannot even begin to describe how much I enjoyed our Euro trip - it was the most freeing and thrilling experience I've ever had. The 5 days we had in that beautiful country were definitely not enough , let alone only 9 hours in Paris - I can't wait to travel back to Europe again some day!



NOVEMBER

Back from travelling in Europe, I finally got to achieve one of my life long dreams - to get a tattoo! I was excited and maybe a little nervous, but Adam came with me to distract me from the pain. Overall it was bearable and in the end I was left with the most beautiful work of art that I get to keep on my body for the rest of my life. I knew my family wouldn't approve, and trust me they were NOT impressed at all when I finally revealed it to them later in the month. However, I got the tattoo for myself and I'm obsessed with it... #noregratz and I can't wait to add to my piece overtime.



I even got the pleasure of being a guest for my friend Mairaj's dope af podcast, Channel Mixtape. Mairaj is so passionate and dedicated to creating content for this channel and I felt so honoured to be a small part of it. Check it out here for a listen.



DECEMBER

With the fall semester coming to an end, I really felt like I've become very happy with where I am in my life right now. I'm healthy, I'm happy, and I'm just looking for my next adventure. Exams are finished now, and I'm back home with my dog Charlie and my parents for the holidays. I've been meeting up with old friends, Charity, Erin, and Nicole. We've gone out for drinks in town and it's been so much fun catching up with them and retelling all these stories. It's such an amazing feeling coming home to friends after being apart for so long, and talking to them as if no time or distance was ever between you. It just feels comfortable and accepting, I feel so loved and I hope I made them feel loved in return.

This year has showed me so many great things about myself, and I feel like I have learned so much and grown as a person. I've learned sometimes (maybe not a first) that things change for the better, and it's okay to be a little daring and adventurous. The most important thing is that you do what you love, and do what makes you happy, it's cliche but love and laugh and just roll with it. Life has its own special way of figuring itself out. Again I'm so blessed so have such an amazing family (and I'm just saying family because that all includes my friends - you know who you are).




This blog doesn't end here, I like this idea for tracking my adventures to look back and reflect upon. So I'm going to be continuing this into 2017 - blogging at least once a month, and I can't wait to see how much more can change in another year. Who knows where I may go or who I may see, but I know that it's going to be amazing.

So long, farewell 2016. Cheers to 2017! Happy New Year! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment