Saturday 3 September 2016

SUMMER REFLECTION


This solo summer has been filled with highs and lows that I believe have shaped me as a person. Here's a reflection of this summer's evolution of becoming my own soulmate.



I'll admit I had a rough start, from coping with my breakup to spontaneously moving back to my own apartment in Ottawa, things weren't exactly easy. As the dust settled I found happiness in my own space.

I managed to get myself a job at a pub within the week of moving back (bless) and things were looking up. Here I met Sarah, who has become a great friend of mine because of her continuous support and fun loving nature. While things started off great, unfortunately as I continued to work there I discovered that management was extremely poor. Before things could get any worse I made the move to find a new job. I was lucky enough to find another amazing job which I am overjoyed with. This experience really showed myself how I am strong and determined. I hope to channel this strength towards finding an engineering job sometime within the next year (fingers crossed).

Whenever I express my feelings about my break up I try my best to express it in the most positive light. By doing so I feel as though my healing process has been very healthy, however today I do want to talk about some of the sadder more difficult things I've gone through the past couple months. In terms of my breakup, one of the hardest things I've had to do this summer was ending all communication with my exboyfriend. From talking to this person daily during our relationship, to only every now and then once we split (because we were trying to be friends) it made me so emotionally unbalanced. Deciding to not be friends with him allowed me to to get one step closer to letting him go. It really showed me how I didn't need him in my life to feel complete. Not having him around allowed me to form stronger friendships, and let me tell you it feels 1000 times better knowing I have 50+ friends who support me than just one guy in my life. With school quickly approaching I was finally starting to accept our split and wishing him happiness. However it has come to my attention that our relationship didn't end with 100% honesty. This realization has allowed me to get another step closer to moving on from him, but on another note I am now challenged with having to learn to forgive him for his lies. I know this all sounds very vague, and I don't want to go into detail but I will say that I am disappointed and am struggling with not having him occupy my thoughts. I know in time these negative feelings will fade, and in order to do so I'm going to focus my attention on more positive things in my life.

I want to stick with my new found love of yoga by keeping up with a weekly practice. Next up I'm going to try to get back into swimming laps for some exercise. I'm looking forward to seeing were this small but important health kick will do for me. I think it'll be a great way to channel stress in addition to whipping me into some shape.

The fact that I picked up my camera again this summer makes me over joyed. Along with this blog, photography has become my small creative outlet. While I may only be an amateur it makes me incredibly happy.

Some highlights I've had this summer were:

  • going to the tulip festival
  • spending time with friends from back home
  • exploring Gatineau Park
  • checking out Doors Open Ottawa
  • taking pictures of some of Ottawa's street art
  • seeing Mumford and Sons in concert
  • experiencing Canada Day in Ottawa
  • treating myself at the Nordik Spa
  • seeing a sunflower field
This summer has been the most fun and exciting time of my life. I got to be free and build connections with some really amazing people. I'm in a good place, and I really am happy with where I am today. This whole experience has empowered me to travel to London and continue living my life to the fullest (just gotta work on how to do that under a budget aha). 

Thank you summer 2016 for being so sweet to me.

I hope this school year goes just as well, I'm excited and nervous to see where this next chapter takes me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment