Tuesday 4 July 2017

CANADA DAY #canada150



This year Canada Day was packed full of adventure. Here's what me and the boys got up to in the capital for the Canada 150 celebration!

We started off the long weekend on Friday. Dan and I went for brunch at Eggspectations downtown. While the food was good, I found that this breakfast joint didn't quite live up to my expectations (I've wanted to try this place ever since first year!). Brunch and the never ending rain didn't discourage us though, and we headed over to the National Arts Centre to see an art installation.



I had to work Friday evening, but I was lunch to get the majority of the day off on Saturday to enjoy Canada Day in full force.

Saturday morning after getting our Canada Day gear on, from my Canadian tuxedo to tats, we headed out. From about Sparks Street across the heart of downtown through to the Byward Market Ottawa was jam packed with people. There was no where near as many people last year, and I couldn't belive how long the line was to get onto Parliament Hill. The boys and I didn't want to bother with the hill though (since I had to work in the evening and didn't have a lot of time), so we just made our way to the market.




 


We went to Zak's Cantina, a new watering hole that just opened up besides Zak's diner. Got a little day drunk and enjoyed lunch. The food was great and I can't wait to check this spot out again.



After lunch I left the boys to go to work for a quick shift. I was lucky enough to be let off early because of the rain! That meant I was finally able to go see the amazing firework show. A quick wardrobe change at home, I hustled back to the market to find the guys again. There was more room to walk around downtown now, still plenty of people but it was easier to maneuver through the crowds at this point. We got into Major's Hill Park, hopped the fence, stood in a garden (because there was just not enough standing space) between a view of Parliament and the National Gallery, and waited for the show to begin. We were even close enough to the stage to listen to some music while we waited. This firework show was 20 minutes and 17 seconds long, and it was like something from Disney World (the best fireworks I've ever seen in my lifetime so far). I'm so happy I managed to catch the firework show this year!!




 


Getting out of Major's Hill was quite the mission, but the crowds and the rain were all worth it to be part of the Canada 150 celebrations. In another 50 years it will be amazing to remember our adventures downtown!

On Sunday we went out again for brunch at Savoy Brasserie in Westboro. This restaurant was like traveling back to Europe with Irwin and Dan all over again. Service was amazing and the food really hit the spot! Would definitely return on another treat yo'self weekend. Then for a snack we went to Suzy Q to pick up some donuts as well. Suzy Q never disappoints and I picked up three new flavours for myself to try, Mango Lassi, Strawberry Galaxy, and Bumbleberry (a new favourite from this lot for sure!). 


I hope everyone had an amazing long weekend! Happy Canada Day #canada150. Looking forward to (hopefully) being in the capitol in another 50 years to redo it all over again haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment