Thursday 22 June 2017

YOGA II


Some how over the course of a year, I've managed to pick up a real hobby. If you haven't guessed it yet; yoga is my newest and greatest passion. I'm writing to you here today to share my experience with yoga and where I am with my present practice. 
Last summer I seriously committed to attended Parliament hill Yoga weekly along side my friends. Not only was it fun and a great way to be active, but it also helped me tune into myself and feel grounded among the chaos that was my life. While my fellow yogis moved on to new opportunities, a year later I found myself back on the hill with new friends and just as excited as ever. So far I haven't skipped out on a class yet, and it's been just as enjoyable as last year.



I was also invited to tag along with a friend to Goat Yoga this month! Last minute a friend of mine offered me a ticket to this event held at the Canadian Agriculture Museum. When Megan invited me to come along with her I was so pleased. It's such an incredible feeling going to events with people who share the same interests and passions as you do.  




Here we got to participate in a hour long yoga session among goats! It was definitely a change of scenery, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to bring a little bit of fun to their practice. To be quite honest I wasn't paying to much to the yoga, but was more interested with interacting with the goats.

  
 


This month I also started volunteering for the first time since high school! Through another friend of mine, I was able to find out about a super cleaner opportunity at the Elevate Yoga studio on Elgin here in Ottawa. With my novice interest for yoga and spare time I was able to become part of Elevates little family. On weekly basis I now volunteer at the studio, and in exchange I also get to practice here as well. To me this was the perfect arrangement because for the past year I've been telling myself to go to classes, but never wanted to commit the time or money to go. Through volunteering, I get to give back to my community, be more involved in the yoga community in Ottawa, and elevate my practice (see what I did there haha). I've been at Elevate for almost a month now and I'm absolutely loving it. Not only are the classes super beneficial to my physical and mental being, but I'm so humbled and appreciative of the kind and supportive family atmosphere in the studio.


Through Elevate I was also able to take part in Ottawa's Glow Fair, and more specifically volunteer running the Elevate booth during Glow Yoga. I was quite hesitant and worried that I would be too tired from work to really enjoy myself. Not to mention I didn't know any of the other volunteers I'd be spending the evening with (yet). However, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and ending up having the most uplifting evening I've had in a while. I had an amazing time running the booth, meeting new people, and cuddling up with Gucci (Elevates Doga instructor). All the other volunteers were absolute sweethearts, and I can't wait to work with them in the future.    

 


  

I even got featured in the Glow Yoga instructor Nigel Walker's Instagram that night! #doitforthegram






As the sun set, and street began to really start glowing we took a break to get to some glow yoga. Nigel's class was fun, with a lot of movement and playful dancing. There was also a much needed meditation that was the perfect was to calm down from my busy week. It was such a pleasure to be among so many other like minded people and I'm overjoyed to have become a member of this beautiful community. 

Since starting at Elevate I've been able to keep up with yoga twice a week. I know this isn't much but for me it's twice as much I have done in months. It's another small step in the right direction and I can't wait to see where this yoga journey will lead me next. Yoga has really become a vital part of my everyday life, and it's done so many positive things for my body, mind, and soul as corny as it sounds. I feel more connected with myself than ever before. I feel so blessed to have been given the opportunity to volunteer with such an amazing group. Onto bigger and brighter things now, I can feel it.

Namaste. 

1 comment: